Recreating a GPT

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Mon May 5 01:34:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sun, 4 May 2014 18:25:23 -0500
Andrew Berg <aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu> wrote:

> Sorry if this is the wrong list; I have seen discussions regarding

it is the right list if you will get the right answer.

> I destroyed a GPT ('gpart destroy -F ada0') and then ended up needing

You have read already some possible solution. Allow me to tell you mine
after a hardware failure led to a damaged partitioning schema on one of
my disks. I really have had to go down to a hex editor an recreate the
entries. The sad part on this was that the source code is the only
reliable source of information here. As you have a second disk which is
at least similar, you can compare the individual sectors starting from
the boot sector and change them when needed. Of course, do this only
when all other methods have failed.

Erich