gjournal doesn't want to stop after "gjournal stop" command

Andreas Longwitz longwitz at incore.de
Thu Jan 10 09:21:42 UTC 2013

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> I am removing gjournal from all of our machines. I did it many times
> befor with FreeBSD 7.x versions without problem, but on two machines
> upgraded to 8.3, there is the same problem on both of them. The gjournal
> does not want to stop.
>
> # umount /vol1
>
> # gjournal stop -v mirror/gm0s2g.journal
> Done.

This command initiates that the gjournal geom is disconnected from his
gmirror geom and afterwards the geom "automatic magic" called "tasting"
takes place to find a new matching geom for the gjournal geom. The
result is: The ufsid geom says: Yes I will.

> Jan  8 16:58:27 edith kernel: GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 357929960:
> ufsid/4ac9defaef44694b contains data.

The asynchron running stop is still active, and the play begins again ...

> Jan  8 16:58:32 edith kernel: GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 357929960:
> mirror/gm0s2g contains data.
> Jan  8 16:58:37 edith kernel: GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal
> 357929960 cannot be completed.
> Jan  8 16:58:37 edith kernel: GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 357929960:
> ufsid/4ac9defaef44694b contains data.
> Jan  8 16:58:42 edith kernel: GEOM_JOURNAL: Timeout. Journal gjournal
> 357929960 cannot be completed.
>
> Is there any other way to stop it without reboot?

On servers using gmirror/gjournal/gpart I always have the following
lines in my loader.conf to prevent the problems you saw:

kern.geom.label.gpt.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.ufs.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.ufsid.enable="0"