A question about geli and aesni

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 3 19:50:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 05:46:27AM +0300, Ilias-Dimitrios Vrachnis wrote:
> Hello, I have a question about the aesni integration with geli:
>
> I use a geli encrypted root, on an aesni-capable cpu, and I noticed
> that the .eli device is not hardware accelerated even though aesni.ko
> is loaded (from loader.conf and not kld_list).
> I have a suspicion that this happens because I did not load the module
> before running geli init, but I cannot confirm it at the moment.

It doesn't matter what was available during 'geli init'.

> Running geli init on an md device after the machine is fully booted
> up, results in a hardware accelerated device, so the cpu is not the
> problem here.
> Googling for this issue did not reveal something relevant nor did man
> 4 aesni/man 8 geli, so here I am at the mailing list asking for
> pointers.
> Has anyone seen this behavior before? Do you have any hints?

It looks like GEOM discovers your encrypted device before aesni module
registers itself into opencrypto framework.

If you want to experiment, you could try changing this line in
sys/geom/geom.h:

	DECLARE_MODULE(name, name##_mod, SI_SUB_DRIVERS, SI_ORDER_FIRST);

to something like this:

	DECLARE_MODULE(name, name##_mod, SI_SUB_DRIVERS, SI_ORDER_ANY);

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl