geom gate freezes the system

Eric Saint-Etienne eric.saintetienne at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:10:14 UTC 2012

GEOM Gate just freeze after transfering a couple of MB:

Freebsd 8.2 (64 bits) on VMWare Player 4.0.2, fresh install.
All done as root:

created /etc/gg.exports:
	# 127.0.0.0/8 RW /usr/tmp/file

generated /usr/tmp/file (40 MB) using dd:
	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/tmp/file bs=512 count=80000

run ggated
	# ggated

run ggatec:ggatec create localhost /usr/tmp/file
	# ggate0

created a new filesystem and mounted it:
	# newfs /dev/ggate0
	# mount /dev/ggate0 /root/mnt

Copy files:
	# cp -R /usr /root/mnt

After 6.1MB cp is stuck in a system call (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+Z display ^C and ^Z)
I know it's 6.1 MB because that's waht df says.

Many other disk I/Os are stuck (ls -l never returns, but I can create
a file with cat ans shell redirection)
'halt' or 'reboot' also just hang forever.
No message/error printed in the console

Will try with a 32 bits freebsd 8.2 (on VMware as I don't have a 2nd machine)

Thank you