Pre-boot authentication / geli-aware bootcode

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 15 20:26:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 04:22:18PM -0400, Robert Simmons wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Alaksiej Carniajeu <ac at belngo.info> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's not possible. But, you could have your /boot on a bootable
> > usbstick, together with some keyfiles, and start from it. From
> > security point of view, it is even better, than the whole drive
> > encryption TrueCrypt offers, because the former relies on password
> > only.
>
> This is what I thought.  Now, if I wanted to add this functionality, I
> would need to modify:
> /head/sys/boot/i386/pmbr/pmbr.s
> and
> /head/sys/boot/i386/gptboot/gptboot.c

I'd leave pmbr.s alone, it is definiately too early to play with
decryption. You need to modify gptboot and loader for UFS or gptzfsboot
and zfsloader for ZFS.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl