kern/157863: [geli] kbdmux prevents geli passwords from being entered properly on boot

Thomas Steen Rasmussen thomas at gibfest.dk
Wed Jun 13 12:30:17 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/157863; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Thomas Steen Rasmussen <thomas at gibfest.dk>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, rsimmons0 at gmail.com, stable at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/157863: [geli] kbdmux prevents geli passwords from being
 entered properly on boot
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:19:40 +0200

 Hello,

 Just to let everyone know that this is still an issue.

 I am trying to install FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 on a Lenovo X121e and I
 can't get it to accept the geli passphrase during boot. I've confirmed
 using kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=1 that the passphrase is
 correct, and the same passphrase is accepted when the system is
 booted up.

 I've tried disabling kbdmux in /boot/device.hints like the PR said,
 but that didn't help. I also tried disabling atkbd and atkbdc without
 any luck, infact I couldn't type anything at all when disabling those.

 Any hints or suggestions to what I might try ? I have another 9-stable
 laptop that mounts a geli volume at boot, no idea why that one works
 and this new one doesn't.

 Thanks in advance,

 /Thomas Steen Rasmussen