A question about geli and aesni

Ilias-Dimitrios Vrachnis vrachil at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 02:46:49 UTC 2012

Hello, I have a question about the aesni integration with geli:

I use a geli encrypted root, on an aesni-capable cpu, and I noticed
that the .eli device is not hardware accelerated even though aesni.ko
is loaded (from loader.conf and not kld_list).
I have a suspicion that this happens because I did not load the module
before running geli init, but I cannot confirm it at the moment.

Running geli init on an md device after the machine is fully booted
up, results in a hardware accelerated device, so the cpu is not the
problem here.
Googling for this issue did not reveal something relevant nor did man
4 aesni/man 8 geli, so here I am at the mailing list asking for
pointers.
Has anyone seen this behavior before? Do you have any hints?

PS. I'm running -CURRENT (r234772)