geom_<name>(4) vs g<name>(8)

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 21 20:54:25 UTC 2011

Hello, Andriy.
You wrote 21 сентября 2011 г., 23:45:25:

> Section 4 is kernel drivers.
> Section 8 is userland system management utilities.
> Man pages for driver and related utilities should be cross-referenced but they
> don't have to be the same one page.
  Yes, I understand that.
> Or did you mean something else?
  I mean, that there is geom_fox(4) and, say, geom_map(4), but no
geom_mirror(4), only gmirror(8).
  Why here is no gfox(8) is clear -- here is no such utility (what is
strange enough, but it is topic of other thread). But why here is no
geom_mirror(4) is not clear for me (Ok, one reason could be because
nobody write such man page, but see below about it hypothetical
content).

   And, as information in gmirror(8) will duplicate information in
(hypothetical) geom_mirror(4) (as they both describe same object,
really), it could be one page, found by two names.

  NB: geom_mirror is only example, here are A LOT of such modules with
their configuration utilities.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>