GELI devices produced with 9.0+ fail when mounted on 8.2, etc?

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 05:02:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Manual page is in the same place as source code, so it doesn't really
> matter if we merge geli.8 or geom_eli.c. I was planing to put this into
> manual page as well, but I think that having it only in the manual page
> should be enough indeed.

Ok.

>> Also, I like the thought of having a separate subcommand -- version --
>> for displaying the version output of a geli image. It seems like:
>>
>> geli upgrade md0
>
> You meant 'version' here, right?

Actually, I meant upgrade. Having to explicitly call out the version
instead of implying the version that one needs to upgrade to just
seems unnecessary / less intuitive.

>> should just upgrade md0 to the latest supported metadata format
>> instead of printing out the metadata version, as the implied metadata
>> version should be the latest one by default.
>
> Well, as I said, upgrading is often not possible, as it would require
> rewrite of all the data, as the code assumes for example that if this is
> version X, IV should be calculated this way and if it Y some other way,
> etc.

Yeah.. and you'll have to build a valid version matrix, and block off
certain upgrade paths, etc. Having worked with complicated packaging
systems, I understand your concerns :).

Thanks!
-Garrett