disk partitioning with gmirror + gpt + gjournal (RFC)

Alfred Bartsch bartsch at dssgmbh.de
Tue Oct 18 09:41:41 UTC 2011

Am 18.10.2011 10:19, schrieb Nicolas Rachinsky:
> * Alfred Bartsch <bartsch at dssgmbh.de> [2011-10-18 08:47 +0200]:
>> I am going to use the following paritioning scheme on our servers
>> and programmers' workstations running FreeBSD 8 (system disk):
>> physical drive - geom_mirror - geom_part_gpt - journaled UFS with
>> separate boot and swap partitions.
> [...]
>> create the UFS file systems (with labels): # newfs -L fbsdroot -J
>> mirror/gm0p7.journal
> [...]
>> # Device            Mountpoint  FStype  Options          Dump
>> Pass# /dev/ufs/fbsdroot   /           ufs     rw,noatime,async 1
>> 1
> [...]
>> Some questions: Is this disk configuration valid and robust?
>> (I've just started testing)
>
> If gmirror kicks one disk, you might end in an unfortunate
> situation on the next reboot. Since gmirror won't use the kicked
> disk, gpart will take it an make the partitions available as
> <diskX>p#. glabel might use these instead of the labels on gm0p#.
> Ant then you use the kicked disk.
>
> To avoid this, do not use labels but refer to the partitions only
> as gm0p# (or with the journal as gm0p#.journal).

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm using filesystem labels (tunefs), no
GEOM labels other than gmirror.
After executing "gmirror remove gm0 <disk1>, the partitions on this
disk show up as <disk1>p#, not as mirror/gm0p#, so there is IMHO no
ambiguity. If you have experienced problems with gmirror - glabel
configurations, I'm interested in more details.

--
Alfred Bartsch
Data-Service GmbH