RFC: Project geom-events

Stephane LAPIE stephane.lapie at darkbsd.org
Wed Oct 5 06:42:49 UTC 2011

On 10/05/2011 03:19 PM, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Miroslav.
> You wrote 5 октября 2011 г., 1:27:03:
>
>> I am still missing one thing - dropped provider is not marked as failed
>> RAID provider and is accessible for anything like normal disk device. So
>> in some edge cases, the system can boot from failed RAID component
>> instead of degraded RAID. This can cause data loss or demage.
>   What RAID do you mean exactly? geom_stripe? geom_mirrot? geom_raid?
> Something else? If GEOM class drops underlying provider due to errors,
> it doesn't have chances to update metadata for it.
>   But most of classes, if dropped provider attached again, will
> rebuild itself, as they track which components are actual and which
> ones are old.
>   Do you want GEOM classes to track droppen components somewhere else
> and din't even try to attach them automaticaly when they re-appear?
>
>> Is it possible to fix it by something like your geom-events, or should
>> it be done in each GEOM RAID class separately?
>   geom-events only process events from GEOM classes in userland. Each
>  class should decide what happens to him by itself, as only class
>  itself knows is this particular error fatal or not.
>   geom-events could help, if it replaces dropped component fith spare
>  drive, as in such case most classes prefer "latest" drive, not old
>  one. Without spares, everything will be exactly as it is now, plus
>  e-mails to administrator :)

A bit unrelated, but are there plans to integrate hardware RAID
(mps/mfi/mpt/amr) failure notification in the same way as this would be
done for GEOM ? As in, "one framework and way to manage both hard and
soft RAIDs".
--
Stephane LAPIE, EPITA SRS, Promo 2005
"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."