kern/157724: [geom] gpart(8) 'add' command must preserve gap for schemes

Andrey V. Elsukov ae at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 27 18:22:18 UTC 2011

On 27.06.2011 22:10, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>  >> There isn't a lot we can do about it. This is one of those
>  >> historical mistakes that you can't fix without breaking with
>  >> 30+ years of history. It's not worth the hassle IMO...
>  >
>  > Hi, Marcel
>  >
>  > I think we can just set gpt_first = 16 in g_part_bsd_create for new
>  > tables and for existing tables also set gpt_first = 16 if all partitions
>  > don not use this space. Something like this (untested):
>
>  You may want to look at /etc/disktab. Are you willing to
>  change all entries and deal with the consequences? :-)

I do not see any problems here especially for gpart(8).
bsdlabel(8) does not use gpart(8), it still can write label directly to
the provider and it will be detected as before.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov