kern/157724: [geom] gpart(8) 'add' command must preserve gap for schemes

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Mon Jun 27 16:40:18 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/157724; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel at xcllnt.net>
To: "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, eirnym at gmail.com,
        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: kern/157724: [geom] gpart(8) 'add' command must preserve gap for schemes
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:39:11 -0700

 On Jun 27, 2011, at 4:38 AM, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:

 > Hi, Eir Nym
 >
 > I am partially agree with you. geom_part_bsd does not protects
 > metadata from overwriting. And it is bad for users which are not
 > aware about this. Also it is easy to wipe metadata now, when
 > first partition of BSD scheme should not always have UFS file
 > system.

 There isn't a lot we can do about it. This is one of those
 historical mistakes that you can't fix without breaking with
 30+ years of history. It's not worth the hassle IMO...

 --
 Marcel Moolenaar
 marcel at xcllnt.net