data integrity verification using geli

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 10 05:32:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:51:18PM -0400, Robert Simmons wrote:
> Does data integrity verification work if I encrypt a partition using
> geli(8)?  When I created a provider, I just happened to peek at the
> dmesg and I noticed a large number of errors reported after creating
> the eli device.  All are variations of the following:
> GEOM_ELI: ad6p4.eli: 512 bytes corrupted at offset 3221224960
> GEOM_ELI: ad6p4.eli: 8192 bytes corrupted at offset 65536

This is because the data is not yet initialized. You have some random
data that surely are not properly signed. In the example section of
geli(8) manual page you can find that there is a step to initialize the
provider's data:

	# dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/da0.eli bs=1m

This way GELI has a chance to sign all the blocks.

I guess it would be good to advise this step after 'geli init' the same
way we inform about backups.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com