[RFC] Remove requirement of alignment to track from MBR scheme

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 1 11:25:09 UTC 2011

You had a type in my email address, but nevertheless :-)

on 01/06/2011 10:46 Andrey V. Elsukov said the following:

> For a summary:
> 1. I left the code of auto-align untouched, MBR still aligns new
> partitions. It seems for the consensus it is better keep it for 9.0-RELEASE.

So still no way to specify custom offsets that won't get mangled?
I don't think that this was a consensus.  At least I and, IIRC, Warner have never
agreed to this.  I would agree to current behavior being the default one, but I
think that there must be an option that allows to override any alignment.

> The "-g" option seems useless until this behavior will not be changed,
> so i did not add it.
>
> 2. The probe routine now does not truncate available disk space
> to the track boundary. Also new partition tables will not do that.
>
> 3. For the MBR scheme was added new checking and if partition starts
> from within the first track, its space will not be reserved as before.

No objections here.

--
Andriy Gapon