gpart - how to point to the other disk?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri May 28 07:31:02 UTC 2010

on 28/05/2010 00:16 Garrett Cooper said the following:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi FS folks,
>>    I'm currently looking at switching over bits of our existing
>> infrastructure from boot0cfg / fdisk to gpart, and one of the things
>> that not 100% clear is -- how do I get one disk to point to the other
>> one? I can do this today with boot0cfg [...] -s 5, but AFAICT gpart
>> bootcode should supersede this usage (or am I incorrect?).

Partially.
the usage of boot0cfg that you mention changes some bits within installed boot0
to reconfigure it.  boot0cfg can either read existing boot block from disk,
modify it and write back; or it can take a new boot block image and do the same.

gpart bootcode can install boot0 and can do equivalent of boot0cfg -B -b ...
gpart doesn't do any boot block configuration.

As I understand boot0cfg should still work well.  It reads boot block directly
from disk device using RO access and it write boot block using "bootcode" geom
verb, which exactly the same as what gpart does.

But perhaps I misunderstood something.

--
Andriy Gapon