geom_label and directories under /dev

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 15 23:35:01 UTC 2010

On 16 March 2010 00:12, CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> wrote:
> On 03/15/2010 03:43 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
>>> So it's probably a dead end to try to suggest disallowing of '/'?
>>> Unfortunately it's not easy to fix all problems with directories. For
>>> starters devfs doesn't support removal of directories at all.
>>
>> I have no idea why "/" would be allowed - it isn't in regular filenames
>> so why would this be special? I wote to remove slashes.
>
> Please be very careful with such a change. I rely on this behaviour
> pretty heavily, to keep things hierarchically arranged. Such a change
> would break pretty much every box I run.

I see your point about not breaking your setup but - would you expect
normal file systems to host files with slashes in their filenames? It
works in GEOM+devfs mostly by accident - I'm sure you would agree that
it is definitely something unexpected - a bug, even, and relying on
such unexpected behaviour should not suddenly become official policy.
It would make life difficult if there is ever something else that also
needs to parse labels and assign them to devices, and besides that
it's generally ugly.