another gpt vs mbr (sanity) check

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Mon Mar 8 20:26:52 UTC 2010

On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Pete French wrote:

>> The problem the original poster was having is this:
>>
>> Format drive as GPT
>> Re-Format drive as MBR
>>
>> FreeBSD still sees the drive as GPT instead of MBR.
>
> Actually his *problem* is that FreeBSD sees the drive
> a GPT, but other things now see it as MBR. If everything
> saw it the same way there would be no issue, regardless
> of what the spec says. But if eveyone sees it one way
> and we see it another, thats not very useful, even if
> it is strictly correct and all the others are wrong.

We're already trying to play nice with mainstream OSes.
We've simply reached the point where things ain't simple
anymore and we need to be very careful not to break our
own operating system.

Remember that the PC world has only known about MBR and
whatever people have been doing for 30 years suddenly
isn't enough anymore because there's such a thing as
GPT.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com