FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELASE doesn't see slice on SDHC card in ?cardreader ?-- what should I do?

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Thu Dec 23 13:14:41 UTC 2010

Hello, Oliver.
You wrote 21 декабря 2010 г., 14:26:24:

> Lev Serebryakov <lev at serebryakov.spb.ru> wrote:
 >>   It  works!  But  it  is  not intiutive at all :)
> The command opens the device for writing (but it doesn't
> actually write anything), and closes it immediately.
> This causes the GEOM system to read and "taste" the
> device and look for new slices or partitions.
  I understand, what these command do, but geom retaste is not obvious
result and it is not obvious, that it is proper (and easiest) way to
trigger re-taste.

 >>   Why all CAM-related commands like "load" and "open" don't work
> All of those commands are only related to the hardware,
> i.e. SCSI busses and devices.  They are not related to
> the _content_ of the device (slices etc.).
  Yes, but each device is geom_disk, and re-scanning hardware level
could trigger re-taste, starting from releant geom_disks. It looks
resonable.

> In other words, the problem is on a different level.

 >>   (I don't mention auto-sensing  ;-))?  Is it problem with my
 >>   cardreader or common problem for FreeBSD?
> The main problem here is that there is no notification
> mechanism when you insert an SD card (the same is true
> for floppy disks and CD drives, by the way, but it's less
> of a problem because they usually don't have slices).
   It is strange. Any SD card reader has spring contacts, which
detects card insertion. Does cardreader pass this signal? And I'm
sure, that SCSI (and ATAPI, as ATAPI is SCSI-commands-over-ATA)
CD-ROM drives has "media changed" signal.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at serebryakov.spb.ru>