OCE and GPT

Lister lister at kawashti.org
Wed Apr 21 09:44:27 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have a 5TB RAID5 (/dev/da0) on a 3Ware controller supporting OCE.  I partitioned it into p1, p2 & p3 using gpt on FreeBSD-7.1-RELEAE.
P3 is 3.5TB and is the one I need to expand by adding another 1TB drive to the RAID. It is now 87% full.

Both gpt and gpart don't allow resizing a partition.
Of course, backing up the RAID to another is not an option.

I'm in a rather desperate situation and I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If there's no current software solution, I'm willing to use a hex editor to edit the disk directly if someone could advise me of the layout of GPT as created by gpt- and gpart if different.  I used to do this on MBR disks at times of necessity.

Kind regards,
Hatem Kawashti