[RFC] Rewriting sade(8)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Apr 8 16:49:09 UTC 2010

On 04/08/2010 16:30, Marian Hettwer wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:53:48 +0000, Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org>  wrote:
>
> It's not nice to hijack a topic, but this is way to interesting for me, so
> I do it anway :)

:) I didn't mean to hijack either, was trying to discuss advantage of
having backend
as a executable vs a library which can't be used standalone without
front-end.
This would in effect lock you completely into front-end logic, which may
not meet
a users specific needs, even though backend can do what user wants.

>> This has a few advantages, in that the backend can be used stand-alone
>> for scripted installations and also provide great flexibility
>> to the front-end developer. They don't need to worry about performing
>> any of the actual installation logic, they just provide a way
>> for users to select their installation options, generate a configuration
>>

>> script, and let the backend run with it.
>>
> scripted installation!
> Are you able to do a pxeboot, nfsroot and then scripted installation?
> Are those scripts portable to FreeBSD or PC-BSD only?
> Could you give me a hint where to find them?
>
> TIA,
> Marian

Correct, every install it does is a fully-scripted installation, and
it can be used with pxeboot, or in a custom mfsroot image easily.
Supports ZFS, glabel, gmirror, geli, GPT, gpart, vanilla FreeBSD
installs, etc.

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/pc-sysinstall

Checkout examples/README for all the gory details of config-file
generation.

One caveat, the version in trunk is being very actively worked on by
myself at the
moment to prepare for 8.1, needs more docs, etc ;)

--
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software