geom_eli, N disks, zfs

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Wed Sep 23 09:59:59 UTC 2009

> Yes, it will be one solution. But your setup we must mount root-fs first to read rc.conf, then we can attach disk to initialize ZFS volume. Or?

Yes, this is true - but then I only encrypt the drives which have sensetive
data on them. My boot drive doesnt come under that heading, though all
the data is then mounted from an encrypted zpool.

> But what about zfs-only system with one zpool using all N-disks?

I havent though about that - I have two zpools, one unencrpted on the boot
drive, and then a pair of mirrored encrypted drives for the rest. I never
quite saw the mileage in encrypting the boot device really - as long as
the actual data is protected then I am happy.

-pete.