kern/138891: [geom] GEOM_PART_* fails with sliced gstripe

Stephen Hurd shurd at sasktel.net
Wed Sep 23 00:32:10 UTC 2009

marcel at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Your disk partitioning is invalid. You cannot have both a MBR and
> a BSD disk label in the same place and independently of each other.
>     ace# fdisk /dev/stripe/raid0
>     ace# bsdlabel /dev/stripe/raid0
> If you look closely, FreeBSD 7.2 will use the MBR on /dev/stripe/raid0
> and the BSD disklabel on /dev/stripe/raid0s4. However, since a BSD
> disklabel also embeds a MBR, FreeBSD 8.0 will correctly prefer the
> BSD disklabel on /dev/stripe/raid0. However, the BSD disk label is
> not the one that should be used.
> Fix the problem by wiping out the second sector on the disk.
> BTW: the problem is caused by creating a dangerously dedicated
> installation. It's known to be broken and should not be used.
> FYI,

After wiping out the second sector or the drive (dd seek=1 count=1
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/stripe/raid0)
 fdisk now reports "invalid fdisk partition table found" but GEOM_PART_*
still does not locate the a slice and the b/d slices will not mount.  I
have never had a /dev/stripe/raid0s* node, just /dev/stripe/raid0[a-d].

Is there any way to fix this short of a full backup/restore?  (The
reason I used DD mode here was that since the gstripe wouldn't be
visible to the BIOS -- or anything other than FreeBSD -- slicing seemed
silly.)