gpart(8) not honoring sector sizes correctly?

Geoff Fritz gfritz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 19:03:11 UTC 2009

I just recently started using gpart, and I ran into what I think might
be a bug.  I'm using FreeBSD/amd64 8.0-BETA4

I have a geli provider with a 4096 sector size.  When I issued a
"gpart add -s 1g -t freebsd_ufs ad0.eli" on this device, it appears
the command assumes a 512-byte sector size, resulting in a partition
that is 8G in size.  The bsdlabel command handles this correctly, so I
assumed that gpart should.

Is this a bug?

I only began messing with gpart after reading that it's related (I
think) to getting the new bsdlabel in FreeBSD 8.0 to utilize 26
partitions (instead of the normal 8).  Is there any documentation on
how to do this?

Thanks.

-- Geoff Fritz