gjournal + gptid/ un"stop"able

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Nov 15 20:45:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

I just read the previous thread via the list archive.  As of late on
HEAD something changed that doesn't allow one to "stop" gjournal
anymore and get rid of it.  I have been using this same setup for
months if not more than a year without problems.  Whatever was added
introduced an architectural problem.

Either /dev/da*.journal exists or when that is stopped a journal etc.
shows up with the "cryptic" names in /dev/gptid/....journal.
If you stop that, the /dev/da*.journal is back.

This essentially means that once gjournal is loaded, one is unable to
unload it again, unless ones force a "detach"/"stop" on all lower
providers.

This essentially means that one can no longer safely shut down without
the risk of losing/scrambling data.

I guess the "ufsid/" things mentioned formerly has the same problem.

What are the possible solutions to that?

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb         It will not break if you know what you are doing.