compatibility with Linux software RAID?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed May 13 12:56:52 UTC 2009

Török Edwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this has been answered before, but is there a way to access
> (even if just read-only) RAID arrays created by Linux software raid
> tools (mdadm)?
>
> I want to test the new superpages support in FreeBSD 7.2, and do some
> performance comparisons with Linux, problem is all my data is on a
> RAID10 array.

RAID is not the only problem you have - how will you access the data?
FreeBSD's ext2 file system driver isn't nearly as good for any kind of
realistic performance testing - you'd probably need to test Linux with
extX and FreeBSD with UFS2.

> Also if gmirror does support the above, is there a way to tell it to
> treat the disks as readonly?

Both gmirror and gstripe can work in a sort of "on-the-fly" mode,
without actually committing any configuration to the drives (see the
"create" command in both). In theory, you could use gmirror and gstripe
with exactly the same parameters as you did in Linux to reconstitute
your data. You'll also probably need gnop to align data before using
gmirror and gstripe. Of course, only do this if you're completely sure
what you're doing and know how RAID10 is physically implemented.