gpart bootcode and /boot/boot

Andriy Gapon avg at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 18 08:51:35 PDT 2009

on 26/02/2009 18:54 Marcel Moolenaar said the following:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 8:28 AM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>
>> on 22/01/2009 21:00 Andriy Gapon said the following:
>>> Sorry for being lazy - what is "gpart bootcode" equivalent of bsdlabel
>>> -B [-b boot] ?
>>>

>> Marcel, guys, I am still curious.
>>
>> disklabel -B refuses do to anything because of what it thinks is
>> incorrect
>> partition info.
>>
>> And the following command gets "Operation not permitted" when it opens
>> ad6s1 for
>> writing:
>> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot -i 1 ad6
>
> Don't you mean "gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot ad6s1"
>
> If you say "-i 1 ad6", then what you want is bootcode
> in a partition that is controlled by the scheme on ad6
> (the scheme on ad6 is the MBR). You can't do that,
> because that partition is sub-partitioned by the BSD
> scheme.
>
> Since you want bootcode in the BSD scheme, you need
> to add bootcode to ad6s1.

Thank you very much for the explanation!

>> This is amd64, stable/7, gpart-only kernel (gpart_mbr, gpart_bsd).
>
> Bootcode for the BSD scheme is not present in 7-STABLE yet.
> I just recently added that to -CURRENT (I must have missed
> it) and I need to get around MFCing it. Feel free to do the
> MFC for me. The code has been in -CURRENT long enough to do
> a MFC.

Thank you for the offer and sorry that I haven't used the opportunity.
And thank you for the MFC - I am using the code in stable/7 and successfully
updated boot2 blocks via the command you suggested.
Just for the record - I did it to use jhb's fix for real<->protected switch in
boot code.

BTW, is there a way to read/backup bootcode (for BSD scheme)?

--
Andriy Gapon