kern/131037: [geli] Unable to create disklabel on .eli-Device

Hannes Hauswedell freebsd at soulrebel.in-berlin.de
Thu Jan 29 07:10:08 PST 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/131037; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hannes Hauswedell <freebsd at soulrebel.in-berlin.de>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/131037: [geli] Unable to create disklabel on .eli-Device
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:06:44 +0000

 The panic seems not to be connected to the warning.

 I partitioned the .eli with gpt and received no warnings, but still got
 a reboot while writing. I changed some options on the raid-adapter
 (which isn't supported by freebsd anyway - the raid is softraid) and
 now I don't have any panics.

 So GPT works fine for me and I will be using that. I can't verify
 whether it would have worked with bsdlabels as well but I think so.

 The warning in itself should still be considered a bug, but not really
 important. You may change or close this PR, however you see fit.

 In case someone wants to work on the warning, here are the infos that
 may help:

 Warning appears if you have
 UFS <-> bsd-partition <-> bsdlabel <-> .eli <-> freebsd-slice
 -> /dev/ad0s1.elia

 Warning DOES NOT appear if you have:
 UFS <-> .eli <-> freebsd-slice
 ->/dev/ad0s1.eli

 OR: UFS <-> bsd-partition <-> bsdlabel <-> .eli
 -> /dev/ad0.elia

 OR: UFS <-> gpt-partition <-> gpt-layout <-> .eli <-> freebsd-slice
 -> /dev/ad0s1.elip1

 OR: UFS <-> bsd-partition <-> bsdlabel <-> freebsd-slice
 -> /dev/ad0s1a

 Regards,
 Hannes