How to FSCK GEOM GELI image

Michael Jung mikej at paymentallianceintl.com
Wed Sep 10 13:44:55 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-geom at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-geom at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Ivan Voras
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:23 AM
To: freebsd-geom at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: How to FSCK GEOM GELI image

Michael Jung wrote:
> FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p2 #15
>
> I've been using the image for some time and was well until a UPS
> failure.
>
> Here is the script I use to mount the encrypted file image
>
> ++++++++++++
>
> mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /home/staff/mikej/image md0
> geli attach -k /etc/gli/image.key /dev/md0c

Try fsck after this step, before you mount it:

fsck /dev/md0c.eli

> mount /dev/md0c.eli /private
>
> ++++++++++++
>
> It fails to mount and I see this is dmesg
>
> GEOM_ELI: Device md0c.eli created.
> GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-CBC 128
> GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: software
> WARNING: R/W mount of /private denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run
> fsck

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /home/staff/mikej/image md0
geli attach -k /etc/gli/image.key /dev/md0c
mount /dev/md0c.eli /private
(root at firewall) /home/staff/mikej/bin# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f
/home/staff/mikej/image md0
md0
(root at firewall) /home/staff/mikej/bin# geli attach -k /etc/gli/image.key
/dev/md0c
Enter passphrase:
(root at firewall) /home/staff/mikej/bin# fsck /dev/md0c.eli

fsck: Could not determine filesystem type
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

(root at firewall) /home/staff/mikej/bin#

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This message is intended only for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please notify us by telephone at (502) 212-4001 or
notify us at PAI , Dept. 99, 11857 Commonwealth Drive,
Louisville, KY  40299.  Thank you.