Could someone take a look at a small patch to gmirror ?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 5 07:35:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 04:59:09PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> Hi, I was told on -stable that I might get more luck here regarding a
> patch I wrote to gmirror a while ago. It simply adds a new balacing
> algorithm called 'prefer-low' which does the reverse to 'prefer' - i.e.
> will always read from the disc with the lowest priority, not the highest.
> I also moved the default priority to the centre of the range, so that drives
> can be added to a mirror with a lower or higher priority than the original.
>
> I submitted this as PR in May here:
>
> I have been using this patch live on our database servers since then
> and it works fine. I have stress tested it as much as I can, and was hoping
> that someone else might like to take a look, give a bit of testing and
> commit it. The patch includes manpage changes as well as code changes,
> it was written relative to stable at the time, but patches against 7.1
> prerelease cleanly as well. I was hopinh it might make it into 7.1, but
> maybe it is a bit too late for that.
>
> Anyway, I hope someone can take a look

The possibility of setting priority only on insert time is a bit
limiting (and mentioned in BUGS section in gmirror(8)), but I think the
better way to do it is to just extend configure subcommand to allow
priority change, eg.

	# gmirror label foo da0 da1
	# gmirror configure -p 7 foo da1

We could also add -p option to label subcommand to define starting
priority, but I'm not sure about that one.

Would you like to work on such a patch maybe?