gpart oddity

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Wed Oct 22 17:28:38 UTC 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> I have the following geom options in my kernel config:
> GEOM_LABEL
> GEOM_PART_BSD
> GEOM_PART_GPT
> GEOM_PART_MBR
>
> The last three are recent addition that I want to report about.
>
> Also, geom_mirror and geom_journal are loaded as modules and I use
> both
> gmirror and gjournal, independently.
>
> This is a i386 7.1-PRERELEASE system, kernel is built from svn rev.
> 184137.
> Here's a diff between new kernel verbose dmesg and old kernel verbose
> dmesg (only geom specific lines, old kernel was built from sources
> from
> around Sep 24):
>
> -GEOM: new disk ad4
> +GEOM: ad4s1: invalid disklabel.

Your BSD disklabel is considered invalid. I've seen reports where
the recorded number of sectors is larger than the media size.

> +GEOM: ad4s1b: invalid disklabel.
> +GEOM: ad4s1c: invalid disklabel.

This is a problem with your configuration. You have not disabled
GEOM_BSD (nor GEOM_MBR) by adding "nooption GEOM_BSD" (and
"nooption GEOM_MBR"). For now it's best to keep it, because the
old BSD slicer does not check your disklabel and accepts it.

Can you send me the output of dd for ad4s1, like:

	dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/tmp/dump count=16

As well as the output of sysctl kern.geom.conftxt.

That allows me see in what way your BSD disklabel is invalid.
Thanks,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com