Problems with journal?

Giulio Ferro auryn at zirakzigil.org
Sun Oct 12 09:46:13 UTC 2008

Giulio Ferro wrote:
> I'm experiencing very serious delay issues in 2 production servers.
[...]
> I hope any of you can help me look in the right direction, and point
> me to any further tests to try or tunable
> to set...
>
> Thanks in advance.

I didn't receive any answer to this, so I'm guessing ufs journal
is abandoned or there is no interest in supporting it in production
environment.
Anyway I removed it from my servers and reverted to standard UFS,
so the problems disappeared.  I also tried zfs (the only other journaled
filesystem available on freebsd). I didn't experiences the hanging behavior
I did with journaled ufs, but it's considerably slower than standard ufs
(1/2 slower writes, 1/10 slower reads)...