zfs: affected by geom_(mbr|bsd) => geom_part_(mbr|bsd) ?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Nov 18 00:10:30 PST 2008

on 18/11/2008 07:27 Marcel Moolenaar said the following:
> [sorry for the delay]
>
> On Nov 11, 2008, at 5:35 AM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>
>> on 05/11/2008 18:03 Andriy Gapon said the following:
>>> Using GENERIC amd64 7-BETA2 system (installed from "official" ISO) I
> *snip*
>>> Then I built a custom kernel with nooptions for GEOM_(BSD|MBR) and
>>> options for GEOM_PART_(BSD|MBR). When I tried to boot this kernel it
>>> couldn't mount ZFS root and I simply rebooted my machine when I stuck at
>>> mountroot prompt (I couldn't enter UFS2 root because of unrelated
>>> keyboard problem).
>>> The boot was verbose and I didn't see any peculiar GEOM or GEOM_PART
>>> messages (errors, warnings).
>
> The problem is very likely related to change 184204. This
> change fixes a conflict between MBR and BSD. Unfortunately
> this fix wasn't in 7.1-BETA2. You should not have a problem
> with 7.1-RELEASE (nor 7-STABLE).

Marcel,

this particular change was definitely in kernel.
As I reported in subsequent posts gpart show reported everything
correctly and device node existed in dev, etc. UFS was happy about all
its partitions, only ZFS had trouble. I think that this was something
different, more subtle.

--
Andriy Gapon