GEOM_JOURNAL: Cannot suspend file system /vol0 (error=35)

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 7 13:10:55 UTC 2008

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I saw this error in messages:
>
> : fsync: giving up on dirty
> : 0xc5564110: tag devfs, type VCHR
> : usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 78 mountedhere 0xc54ef800
> : flags ()
> : v_object 0xc556645c ref 0 pages 1146
> : lock type devfs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xc5236a50 (pid 39)
> : dev mirror/gm0s2e.journal
> : GEOM_JOURNAL: Cannot suspend file system /vol0 (error=35).
>
> Is it something harmful, or is it "normal" behavior? It was in time when
> generating backup (high disk I/O).
> Gjournal is on top of gmirrored SATA disks.
>
> mirror/gm0s2d is 2GB journal provider
> mirror/gm0s2e.journal is 380GB data provider

This shouldn't be a problem really.  If these are on SCSI disks, you
might try increasing the queue depth using camcontrol (see the 'tags'
command in the camcontrol man page).  You could also try reducing the
journal flush time (I can't recall the sysctl to set right now - I think
the default is 10s).

Eric