Authentication with geom_eli

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 16 12:05:05 PST 2008

Cyrus Rahman wrote:

> With this in mind, the addition of a less expensive authentication
> algorithm, say a CRC, which would provide still provide a check on the
> channel between geom_eli and the physical disk sectors without the
> overhead of md5 or sha256, would be extremely useful.

I think this discussion was held in relation with ZFS (which by default
does strong hashing of ALL data ALWAYS) and that somebody concluded from
experiments that, given the difference in speed between modern CPUs and
modern drives, there wasn't much difference between using CRC32 and
using a strong hash.

Of course, on slower / embedded devices the situation is much different.