raid of a concat in gvinum

Paolo Tealdi paolo.tealdi at polito.it
Tue Feb 5 07:08:20 PST 2008

At 15.36 05/02/2008 +0100, Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
>. By your calculation I assume you
>want to do raid5 on the data. (Getting 300 + 300 + 300 where 1/3 is used for

Yes i would like to create a raid 5 disk of 600GB

>perform the following operations:
>
>1. Use the current concatenated volume you already have,
>2. Create three new disks, one of them pointing to the volume and the two
>other pointing to you new disks.
>3. Create a raid5 plex and volume.
>
>The additional configuration would be something like:
>
>drive r1 device /dev/gvinum/<yourconcatvolume>
>drive r2 device /dev/<newdisk1>
>drive r3 device /dev/<newdisk2>

I thought that it was a conf like that, but i wasn't sure that the
configuration program accept a gvinum device instead of a real device.

>I have not tried this myself, so I can't guarantee that it works.  I'd
>appreciate if you send your current configuration so I can make sure my tips
>here will be correct to your wishes.

I will do a good backup and i'll try in the next few days.

>As a last note, I recommend trying out my patches for gvinum in case you run
>into any problems. It also contains the mentioned manpage-update. They can be
>found here:
>http://people.freebsd.org/~lulf/patches/gvinum/
>Currently I only have >= RELENG_7 patches though. I can generate
>RELENG_6-patches if you really want :)

when will you commit that patches in the release ?

In any case i'll try the configuration and tell you the result.

Best regards and thank you for the help.

Paolo Tealdi

Ing. Paolo Tealdi              Servizi Informatici per le Biblioteche
Politecnico Torino             Phone : +39-011-5646714 , FAX : +39-011-5646799
C.so Duca degli Abruzzi,  24 - 10129 Torino - ITALY Email :
paolo.tealdi(At)polito.it