gvinum raid10 stale

Dimitri Aivaliotis aglarond at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:20:38 PST 2008

Hi Rick,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Rick C. Petty
<rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com> wrote:

> You should be able to add mirrors pretty easily, as long as those are
> mirrors of stripes (since you can't stripe your mirrors in gvinum), but you
> have to make sure each mirror (plex) contains the right size, regardless of
> your stripe (subdisk) size.

So, am I reading you (and Ulf's previous mail) correctly in that the
example given in the Handbook is not expandable?

   volume raid10
      plex org striped 512k
        sd length 102480k drive a
        sd length 102480k drive b
        sd length 102480k drive c
        sd length 102480k drive d
        sd length 102480k drive e
      plex org striped 512k
        sd length 102480k drive c
        sd length 102480k drive d
        sd length 102480k drive e
        sd length 102480k drive a
        sd length 102480k drive b

I thought that this was the "mirror of stripes" that you describe above.

> I add to my mirrors regularly, usually just to move volumes around.  I
> think the confusion here is the number of subdisks per plex that you have
> which is unnecessary.

Ignoring my current configuration for the moment because of the
confusion caused by it, how would I expand the above example by adding
5 additional disks?

Thanks for your patience with me here.  I'm trying to understand how
this should work.

- Dimitri