partition covering the whole slice [repost]

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Dec 16 03:41:13 PST 2008

on 15/12/2008 14:35 Vadim Goncharov said the following:
> Hi Andriy Gapon!
>
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:55:31 +0200; Andriy Gapon wrote about 'Re: partition covering the whole slice [repost]':
>
>>> Yes, of course. You should not intermix using glabel(8) utilizing /dev/ufs
>>> (via tunefs) and bsdlabel partition starting from offset 0. This is because
>>> glabel can't distinguish is that slice or partition - with offset 0 superblock
>>> will be at the same position.
>
> Also, that's why bsdlabel(8) creates partition 'a' with offset 16 by default.

But it seems that sysinstall doesn't, unfortunately.

>>> You can try to erase bsdlabel completely (if this is not your boot partition)
>>> from the slice and use filesystem directly from the slice. This will not affect
>>> mount as you're already using labels.
>>>
>>> The other way will require shrinking-then-moving partition on the disk and
>>> editing disklabel, better done with newfs(8).
>> thanks a lot for the explanation and the advice.
>> I used gpart destroy to remove bsdlabel and now I have filesystems
>> covering the whole slices. This works well.
>
> Also, check that your fsck doesn't complain about that setup (can't
> automatically determine how to check it).

Yes, this happens indeed - whether I specify /dev/da0s1 or
/dev/ufs/<label>. I have to provide -t ufs explicitely.
These FS live on an external HDD, and are never automounted, so this is
not a big problem.
Would be nice to find a workaround for tis too, though :-)

Thank you again for the guidance.

--
Andriy Gapon