Encrypting raid5 volume with geli

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sun Dec 14 12:17:29 PST 2008

Ulf Lilleengen wrote this message on Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 14:59 +0100:
> Then, I discovered in geom userland code that it opens the disk where
> metadata should be written in write only mode. Then I discovered the reason:
> gvinum tries to write to the stripe in question, but has to read back the
> parity data from one of the other stripes. But, they are opened O_WRONLY, so
> the request fails. I tried opening the device as O_RDWR, and everything is
> find.

Isn't this a bug in gvinum that it lets a disk be opened in O_WRONLY,
when it needs read permissions?  Shouldn't it add the read permission
to it's provider open, and let the underlying fd still be O_WRONLY (so
the OS will prevent any reads) or it should be documented in the
gvinum man page that raid5 volumes cannot be opened in O_WRONLY mode..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579