Encrypting raid5 volume with geli

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com
Sat Dec 13 13:28:36 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 09:22:27PM +0100, oxy at field.hu wrote:
> as i read it seems that it's useless for sync the raid after initing, i

Not sure what you mean here.  RAID5 sync after creation is pretty typical.
I think it many cases it's unnecessary, but the current gvinum code does
perform a sync-after-create for raid5.

> have no chance to encrypt it with geli, am i right?

With the patch lulf@ just committed, you should be able to geli a raid5
volume under gvinum.  You may have to wait for it to be MFC'd if you're not
using HEAD (FreeBSD-CURRENT).  You could also apply his patch to your
source code and rebuild from /usr/src/sbin/gvinum/ and it should work for
you.

-- Rick C. Petty