partition covering the whole slice [repost]

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Mon Dec 8 04:30:22 PST 2008

Hi Andriy Gapon!

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 15:11:24 +0200; Andriy Gapon wrote about 'partition covering the whole slice [repost]':

> I have a disk with two slices and each slices has a single real
> partition covering the whole slice, sector-to-sector.
> I don't remember how I managed to configure the disk this way, is this
> even possible? :-)

> You can immediately spot another oddity - I never used glabel on this
> disk, but I did use tunefs -L to label the UFS filesystems within the
> partitions.
> Now it seems that the label of filesystems is also somehow recognized as
> a label for the whole slice. E.g. "ufs/extbackup" is exatcly the same as
> "ad12s1". Weird.

> Here's some additional data:
> $ ls -1  /dev/ad12*
> /dev/ad12
> /dev/ad12s1
> /dev/ad12s1a
> /dev/ad12s2
> /dev/ad12s2a

> Looks usual.

> $ ls -1 /dev/ufs/
> extbackup
> extbackupa
> extstuff
> extstuffa

> So there is one "normal" label for each filesystem and the second label
> for it as a filesystem in partition "a" of a labeled slice.

> There is nothing in /dev/label though.

> Ultimately I would like to fix this so that I don't see labels on the
> slices.

Yes, of course. You should not intermix using glabel(8) utilizing /dev/ufs
(via tunefs) and bsdlabel partition starting from offset 0. This is because
glabel can't distinguish is that slice or partition - with offset 0 superblock
will be at the same position.

You can try to erase bsdlabel completely (if this is not your boot partition)
from the slice and use filesystem directly from the slice. This will not affect
mount as you're already using labels.

The other way will require shrinking-then-moving partition on the disk and
editing disklabel, better done with newfs(8).

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]