gmirror insert error: Synchronization request failed (error=1)

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Mon Dec 8 04:20:58 PST 2008

Hi Pawel Jakub Dawidek!

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 21:45:15 +0100; Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote about 'Re: gmirror insert error: Synchronization request failed (error=1)':

>> What offset should I use, then?  Does this only apply to the first =20
>> labels in each slice, or should there be an offset between each label?
> First 16 sectors is where bsdlabel keeps its metadata. bsdlabel(8)
> correctly skips those, but not sysinstall, which is lame on our
> (FreeBSD) side, I know.

What? bsdlabel occupies only two sectors, in fact, only one, because first
sector (0) is occupied by boot1, if any. Both UFS and swap are teached not to
use first 8K of space, to be that able to contain boot2.

In fact, the only problem that could arise from an offset-0 UFS partition is
that a glabel(8) will incorrectly detect /dev/ufs/label on a slice itself,
not partition, but I always have swap ('b' partition) starting from offset 0
and never had any problems (my 'a' UFS'es start from 16 when there no swap).

So what metadata do you really mean?

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]