System freeze with gvinum

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Wed Dec 3 03:30:27 PST 2008

Hi Hilko Meyer!

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 23:47:59 +0100; Hilko Meyer wrote about 'System freeze with gvinum':

> Every time I tried to run newfs on one of the volumes it stucked and the
> complete system freezed, so I cannot provide a coredump. The system runs
> 6.4-RELEASE that was compiled today. What can I do to debug this problem?

You can try to call panic manually. Change your keymap first, e.g.:

vadim at hostel:~>grep key /etc/rc.conf
keymap="ru.koi8-r.vg"
keyrate="fast"
vadim at hostel:~>grep panic ru.koi8-r.vg.kbd
  001   esc    esc    nop    nop    155    155    debug  panic   O
  092   nscr   pscr   debug  debug  nop    nop    nop    panic   O
  104   slock  saver  slock  saver  susp   nop    susp   panic   O
  129   esc    esc    nop    nop    155    155    debug  panic   O
  220   nscr   pscr   debug  debug  nop    nop    nop    panic   O
  232   slock  saver  slock  saver  susp   nop    susp   panic   O

Then do 'sysctl machdep.enable_panic_key=1' (may be add this to
/etc/sysctl.conf). Then, if your dump device is configured, keymap is
applied and sysctl enabled, you can press Alt-Shift-Ctrl-Esc on the
console, and machine will panic with coredump.

Of course it is better to fall into kernel debugger with Alt-Ctrl-Esc,
but that requires debuger compiled into kernel and you knowing what to do
with it :)

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]