about pluggable disk scheduler

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 1 02:27:36 PST 2008

Dmitry wrote:
> Hello freebsd-geom,
>
>   I'm a student, interested in developing pluggable disk scheduler
>   idea. I want to know if some work is being processed and if there is
>   need to do this work. Also I have interest in participating in
>   Summer of Code 2009, so I would like to contact with possible
>   mentor for further discussion.

Hi,

You should first find out what happened to the old project to implement
a pluggable disk scheduler idea for a SoC. There's some information
here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/Hybrid . It has apparently been developed,
up to a point, but has never been integrated into FreeBSD sources, and
is thus abandoned now.

You should:

a) Contact the old author for more information
b) Find out why the project hasn't been accepted / merged into the
official FreeBSD source tree
c) Decide if the problems that the previous project faced are something
you can solve (or have been solved by others in the meantime) so your
project results end up in FreeBSD.