geom label detaching partway through boot

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 10 10:57:04 PDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 01:32:36PM -0400, Kevin Thompson wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 03:52:46AM -0400, Kevin Thompson wrote:
> >> As you can see below, it looks like the label, mirror and
> >> stripe classes are fighting, ending up with label losing
> >> because mirror and stripe are going through the direct da
> >> devices instead of the label/geomX devices. They were
> >> originally created referencing label/geomX.
> >
> > Which FreeBSD version is this?
> >
> > --
> > Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.wheel.pl
> > pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org
> > FreeBSD committer                         Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!
> >

> FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE i386 32 bit straight from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/6.2/ (as of
> yesterday).

Ah, version is not important actually. The problem is that both
/dev/da0s1a and /dev/label/geom0s1a have the same size and the same
metadata. Because you use glabeled providers with your mirror/stripe, I
suggest using -h option for 'gstripe/gmirror label'. This will store
component's name in metadata, eg. label/geom0s1a and won't try to use
da0s1a anymore.