How to grow a GPT partition size ?

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Sun May 13 20:38:27 UTC 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 4:18 AM, Olivier Cochard-Labbe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying a method for increasing the size of a geom raid5 volume (by
> replacing each disk one by one by bigger disk).
> Increasing a graid5 volume works great when I'm using directly the
> volume
> (for example: /dev/raid5/volumename) without MBR or GPT partition.
> But I'm using a GPT partition on this graid5 volume... Then how to
> increase
> the size of a GPT partition ? (I've read the man page of gpt but I
> didn't
> find a solution).

The gpt(8) tool doesn't support changing the size or position
of an existing partition. I'm working on a replacement for
gpt(8), so I don't plan to add support to gpt(8) myself.

The replacement tool will not have these features to begin
with either, because they're not in demand. However, they
are planned (changing the size sooner than changing the
position/location).

If time permits, I should have a resize in the next couple
of weeks.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com