raid3 is slow

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Wed Mar 28 12:02:50 UTC 2007

Szabó Péter wrote:

> I have a raid3 setup with 5 consumers. it seems everything is all right, but riad is very slow imho, but i don't have any reference.

You need to give more accurate information. What are the "consumers" you
mention? Maybe you mean the disks/components of the RAID?

> Now i copy from raid3 to a single hdd 75GB data. Nothing else run, except ssh, and ftp. Before the copy my load is 0.1, after i star the copy the load is 2.92 or higher, and the machine is very slow. I think this is not normal, or is it?

Copy how? By "cp" from shell?

> My config is:
> AMD Barton 2500+ with 1GB memory.
>
> I stop the copy, load is 0.05, and start again, after a few seconds load is 2.02.

Due to the way raid3 works, it's by definition more CPU-intensive than
most other RAID levels, but it shouldn't be even remotely slow as that.
Also, since your load is > 2, what are the other CPU intensive tasks?