Some Unix benchmarks for those who are interesed

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Mar 9 09:42:03 UTC 2007

Eric Anderson wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Eric Anderson wrote:
 > > > Before making speculative claims about slow CPU's and putting the VIA C3
 > > > in with that pile, please at least refer to what makes you believe that
 > > > it is an issue.  Comparing the VIA C3 to 'some old pentium' isn't
 > > > exactly fair or accurate, and inferring it isn't a modern system isn't
 > > > true either.
 > >
 > > I agree that a C3 can be modern (depending on its age).
 > > However, it is indeed rather slow.  I happen to have a
 > > C3 1 GHz as my private router, firewall and file server.
 > > For that purpose it is completely sufficient, and I
 > > prefer it over anything like a Sempron for the low power
 > > consumption.
 > >
 > > But its raw processor performance is on the same level
 > > as an old Pentium with about half the clock rate, i.e.
 > > something like a Pentium2 500 MHz in my case (I also
 > > happen to have a Celeron-466 so it's easy to make the
 > > comparison).  For that reason I prefer not to compile
 > > anything on it, but rather do that on a faster machine
 > > and then copy things over.  My intel Centrino notebook
 > > is at least five times faster than that C3.
 >
 > I'm making no claim they are as fast as a Core 2 Duo, or anything of the
 > like.  But a P2-500?  That's not realistic for most applications, but
 > maybe for a particular benchmark or two it might be.  Just look on the
 > net for the countless benchmarks, and you'll see it usually is about in
 > line with the same age and MHz Celeron processor.

I don't believe in benchmark numbers.  They are often just
synthetic without real-world relation, and often they're
misinterpreted.

Instead, I compare by the speed of real-world tasks, like
compiling sources, which I need to do quite often, so it's
an important thing to compare for me personally, or how
much CPU percentage a media player requires.

With such kind of real-world tasks, my 1000 MHz C3 is
significantly slower than my 800 MHz Pentium-III, but just
a little faster than my 466 MHz Celeron and a friend's
450 MHz Pentium-II.  That's why I say it is close to a
Pentium-II 500.

Regarding power consumption:  The complete mainboard with
the 1 GHz C3 (an EPIA PD10000) consumes 15 W when idle,
and not much more when under full load.  That includes
onboard components like graphics adapter, audio, USB etc.

I'm currently considering to buy an ARM-based board (for
different purposes).  There are some supported by recent
patches to 7-current.  They consume only 1 to 2 W, but are
also a little slower than the C3.  However, I haven't found
one yet that contains the onboard components that I need.

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.