kern/104389: [geom] [patch] sys/geom/geom_dump.c doesn't encode XML entities

Dennis Berger db at nipsi.de
Tue Mar 6 16:20:10 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR kern/104389; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dennis Berger <db at nipsi.de>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org,  dzs-pr at dzs.fx.org,
 freebsd-geom at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/104389: [geom] [patch] sys/geom/geom_dump.c doesn't encode
 XML entities
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:53:44 +0100

 Hi,
 today I tried PJDs ZFS patches. After invoking zpool create I always got
 a coredump.
 After further debugging I recognized gstat isn't working either, which
 seems to be because of an NTFS partition with a certain name not
 correctly encoded as XML specification requires. Its the German "Lokaler
 Datenträger" which is the defaultname for drive "c". So we have to deal
 with those characters. I'm voting against encoding specification or
 something like that, but I do recommend using the escape method. For
 example using "&#e4;"  for encoding E4 german ä and &#60; for a "<"
 character. This way we can escape all illegal characters.
 What do you suggest?
 regards,
 -Dennis Berger