boot from second disk (gmirror device) ... problems

Fluffles etc at fluffles.net
Sat Jul 28 11:44:37 UTC 2007

Fernan Aguero wrote:
> After setting up /etc/fstab and /boot/loader.conf in my
> /dev/mirror/gm0a partition
> rebooting brings me to the boot loader prompt because:
> 1:ad(2,a)/boot/loader
> is not a valid label or /boot/loader does not exist

On a boot partition you need to have a slice, so you probably should use:

1:ad(2,1,a)/boot/loader

this will try to boot from ad2s1a, a likely name for a boot partition on the secondary master PATA disk. You may also press "?" at the prompt and get a list of devices. Also, for your /etc/fstab you may wish to use a label instead. Read up on man glabel on how to set these up. The idea is that, by giving a disk a unique label, you can setup your /etc/fstab without worrying on what controller/cable/connector te disk is on. So doesn't matter if its ad2 or ad8, it will show up as /dev/label/mydisk and you can setup your /etc/fstab accordingly.

Good luck!

- Veronica